In light of recent events regarding COVID19, there will be many of you like me that will be working from home now. We are lucky that we are able to work remotely and I am incredibly grateful that I can. I know there’s still people making their way to and from the office still so please stay safe guys.
Please make sure that you are all limiting your contact with others. Wash your hands, keep your distance from others and just be conscious! We’re all in this together!
To avoid going absolutely insane, I’ve seen lots of people post their tips for working from home which have been incredibly helpful! I will share you some of mine as well as theirs in hope that it’ll help you.
- If you can, set up a desk somewhere out of the bedroom. Try and keep your rest life and your work life separate! If you don’t have the space to do this, make sure you’re working out of bed!
- Cover your webcam! This might seem a bit extreme, but you always hear horror stories of people caught in awkward situations on webcam. Cover it up for your security, but also to save you putting any make up on and giving your colleagues an accidental fright :’).
- Wake up earlier than your start time. I like to wake up 30 minutes before I start to give myself some time to wake up, make a coffee and relax before logging on. This sets me up for the day and gets me into the right mindset.
- Use communication tools to keep in touch. My colleagues are my friends and I regularly chat to them throughout the day and via WhatsApp after work. Keep this up. If you fancy a quick chat, call them on Skype or set up group chats to keep spirits up! Just make sure you don’t interrupt them if they’re in a meeting.
- Get away from your desk for lunch. It’s small, but it’s important to take lunch for yourself and to actually take a break and get away from work to break up the day.
- Put a podcast on for background noise. It can be weird working on your own when you’re used to being in an office full of people. I have put on podcasts on a wireless speaker for background noise and am personally loving Shagged Married Annoyed with Chris and Rosie Ramsay. They’re hilarious and really make me laugh.
It can get lonely for those of us who are extroverts and socialise regularly, so it’s really important to keep in contact with your friends and family to try and keep yourself sane! Living in this modern era of tech has never made it easier to video chat with your friends and family so make sure you do.
Most importantly, make sure you are all staying safe and adhering to the local government guidelines that are there to protect you. Do whatever you can to limit your contact with others and keep your hands clean!